What I Didn’t Like
- The closing narration line of the book is oddly out of place for the book. It sounds like a modern philosophical musing and the tone doesn’t fit with the rest of the story.
- (I can’t believe I’m writing this) The Grendels are too massive and monstrous.
- There is very little design difference between Grendel and his mother. A bit more variety would have been great.
What I Liked
- Hrothgar is portrayed as a strong and good king!
- The art is wonderful.
- The writing is great.
- The story faithfully follows the Poem, while translating it for a modern audience.
- There is good tension between the pagan concept of “wyrd” (fate) and the Christian God’s sovereignty.
This is a great volume to get a hold of. It is among the best adaptations of the Poem out there. It’s a great resource both for those who don’t want to read the Poem, or for those who want a great visual expression of Beowulf.
Rating: 5/5 (I Loved It)
Grab a copy over at Amazon.